Charlotte Lloyd collected plants around Selattyn, Shrawardine and Shrewsbury between 1861 and 1879. A catalogue of her herbarium (of some 241 sheets) was made by W.P. Hamilton in 1900 and this was incorporated into his unpublished ‘Flora of Shropshire‘ (c. 1909). Among her finds are the first county records of Mimulus guttatus (common monkey flower) and Crepis biennia (Rough hawksbeard) in Shropshire.
Other specimens of hers were incorporated into the collection of Miss E.F. Jones.
The herbaria of both Lloyd and Jones are presumed lost.
Charlotte was born at Selattyn Rectory in 1841 – the daughter of George Newton Kinston Lloyd and Anne Cory. Her sister, Martha, was born in 1835 and George, her brother, in 1832. Her father, George N K Lloyd, died in 1846.
By 1861, the census reveals that the family was based at Shrawardine Rectory – with the brother George as Curate. Later life was spent at Wrekin Villa in Shrewsbury (with her sister and mother), both sisters enjoyed ‘private means’.
Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological and Natural History Society make reference to a Miss. Lloyd (on various field trips / excursions).